Of course, theres nothing best to do except to prevent it. It dried in some areas but is super shiny in others and seems sticky still in the shiny areas. If the damage is merely cosmetic and the deck stain feel and looks good except for a few splotches, you can apply stain to the areas that are lighter to attempt to blend them in with the rest of the deck. Much will depend on the outside temperature, the stain being used, and decking material. I pressured washed my deck, let it dry and then used Flood CWF-UV Clear. Note on Help with Rain on your Deck Stain. This will no doubt depend on your experience, the size of the deck, and the tools you have available for use. If none is available, purchase a small piece of the same type of lumber, or simply test the stain in a small, hidden area. It is summer and you are afraid of the first rains.You've just spent hours painting your deck, but now you're wondering if it'll hold up to the weather.This post aims to answer how long you should wait before exposing a freshly stained deck to water.How long does the deck stain have to dry before it. 5/5 https://www.deckstainhelp.com/behr-deck-stain-review/, https://www.deckstainhelp.com/wood-fuzzies-furring-on-deck/, https://www.deckstainhelp.com/the-5-best-deck-stain-reviews-and-ratings/, https://www.deckstainhelp.com/ipe-exotic-hardwood-stain-review/, Best Deck Prep Tips: Clean/Strip/Brighten, Read Articles and Reviews on the Deck Restore Type Products: Deck Restore, Behr Deckover, Olympic Rescue It, Deck Revive, etc, Find the Best Wood Deck Stain: Top-Rated Products for All Needs, TWP 100 Pro Series Wood and Deck Stain Review 2023. Could you please clarify your second response what does not go away, the fuzzies or the white residue/spots around the knots? Once you are within the time frame recommended for a second coat try applying the stain in an inconspicuous spot to see if it fixes the rain damage. No. Im so afraid of the latter. If the stain is peeling or flaking off because of rain, you will have to sand the deck to remove the peeling stain and begin the entire process again. But the downside is it takes quite a long time to dry. Happy decorating! All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. If it rains within 48 hours of applying a treatment, the water will soak into the wood, and try and displace the stain. The i added a stain sealer on top, and it is looking good -unchanged after heavy rain. Is the best way to sand it back again to remove the stain or is there something else. I only have upright wood to stain as deck floor is composite. It depends on the stain brand and how fast it dries. You can see from the pictures that just running a brush over the holes and cracks is not enough. Thank you. You will have to remove all and start over with a better brand of stain for your hardwood: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/ipe-exotic-hardwood-stain-review/. When can I apply the recommended second coat.? The type and brand of stain can make a difference as well. We are in Australia and weather is cool. I was planning to apply the 2nd coat of stain sealer today but now itsraining. Now that its dry it looks like there are some dry spots near the knots in the wood do you think I should apply another coat of the stain? will I need to re prep again? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the sticky parts to keep excess dirt and grime from collecting over the winter? House moisture escaped through the walls due to improper house ventilation. To fix, remove all and start over. What if it rains within 24 hours of staining a deck? If you live in an area with a rainy climate, such as Seattle or London, a water-based, mildew-resistant, low-pigmented stain is the best to use. We recommend that you use a type of hardwood for your deck. Then, use a push broom to spread the sealer. If it rains right after you apply the stain, the stain will peel and flake off. Is it better to use a brush vs a roller ti stain your deck? Im get overwhelmed with all the information Im reading. It is best to leave the deck for as long as you can, but at least wait 12-24 hours and test the deck with bare feet first. You should notice the wood brightening up right away. I stained in the evening when the sun was not on the deck, weather was in the 80s, paint had just been mixed at Lowes, deck was properly power washed and dried, and no product was applied to the deck surface before staining. It may be possible to fix some of these blemishes with a second coat. A light drizzle most likely wont hurt anything but a good downpour can be a different story. Do not apply deck stain to wood until 48 hours after it has rained. Driveway. What should we do now? You would be able to visibly see if you had an issue. live in midwest and cold weather weather next . 2. some fuzzies and white residue these came about during the prep, but I expected them to be gone after staining, (The person applying the stain did walk across a couple of times holding a rag wet from water, or holding the paint tray/brush with stain in it . I painted using Cabot solid stain over semi- transparent which was applied 2 years ago to a deck which had been left untreated for 3 years (the deck is about 5 years old). It really depends on how hard it rained and for how long. If it happens to rain within 48 hours following the stain's application, the rainwater will soak into the pores of the wood and try to displace all the stain. After it's been washed, let the wood dry for at least a couple of days. If it rains immediately after you've stained the wood, the stain will peel and flake off. It was starting to cure last night. Can I Paint on the oil primer two coats and then wait until the spring to put on the Arborcoat waterbased solid stain in the Spring? I want to know your opinion. If the wood gets wet after it's been sanded, but . What happens? It was several days so I dont know what could have caused it Then we had a hard rain about 3 weeks after staining and now have water spots. It is best to never stain any exterior wood when inclement weather is forecasted, especially rain. The while looks like sap leeching out. Stain becomes sticky on a wooden surface because it doesn't have a binder, such as you find in paint or varnish. Advantages to Having a Two-Toned Deck in 2023. Deck stains are generally used for preserving and protecting exterior wood. Even after that, it needs to remain undisturbed for several days before you put outdoor furniture back on the deck. What happens if it rains on fresh stain? Oh, no. Thanks for your help @ Deck Stain Help! I woke to very chilly temps, 36 degrees and dew all over the deck. I would not worry about it. An oil-based stain is the best choice if the deck is going to be directly exposed to wind, rain, and sunlight. There was actually a grill there with wheels that they moved, so that would make perfect sense. He said it would rain the next day but wouldnt be a Problem. If it rains before your stained deck completely dries, the rainwater will soak into the wood's pores and displace the stain. Should we try and add more stain to these spots, sand the boards down and stain them again, or something else? It rained two hours later. Do you think the rest of the deck will be ok to put the second coat on after everything thoroughly dries and I can just sand and start over on the board with the bubbles? Will it effect it right away or will it take days to show up? They are indications of damage. The use of a quality wood cleaner and pressure washer or scrub brush is necessary to remove all the contaminants like dirt, grime, mold, mildew, and graying. Thats what Im trying to do here. It looks like the rain has washed of most of the oil. 1. Hard to say what will happen in the future as this stain brand and type is prone to peeling anyhow. Telltale signs are a damaged appearance and discoloration. Oh well! It rained very heavy and persistent the next day after my first water based staining. After baking in the 90 degree sun I tested again at 1PM. We hope our guide to what happens if it rains on a freshly stained deck has been helpful! Use TWP or Armstrong Clark stains. Wow! Ill attach pics of the dry deck. The 100% acrylic finish formula can be applied in just one day, and the end result enhances the wood's natural beauty while providing extra durability. Charleston, South Carolina Lots, See this for new wood tips and what we suggest:, I am sorry but you really have no idea what. What Happens if it Rains on a Freshly Stained Fence? Thanks! Or you can try lightly sanding the rain spots and recoating. The spots appear to be gone but of course not the marks on the steps. They provide water repellency, UV protection, reduce fungal growth, and enhance the natural beauty of the wood. With a moisture meter, you are looking for a reading between 12-15% or less. These different options will provide different results and will require variations in handling. If a light recoat does not fix the problem, try using a mix of wood cleaner and a pressure washer to see if you can wash the spots without harming the stain. If cracks are already present, the stain must penetrate into them to prevent water from causing the cracks to enlarge. Manufacturers state to avoid staining a deck for at least 24 to 48 hours after being wet from rain. Keep off Newly Painted or Stained Deck. When your deck stain does not dry, it probably was misapplied. If washing or sanding and recoating doesnt fix the problem, it will be necessary to strip off the stain with a stain stripper and start over again. Tropical hardwood decking is so dense that it doesnt accept stain very well, but a penetrating option specifically formulated for use on hardwood decking could be considered. Wet wood will affect the look of your newly stained deck. If they do not, then you will have to remove all and start over. The big task of staining your deck either for the first time or maintaining the quality of your existing deck should be a planned venture. The table ow has water spots all through the water sealer. After being caught out with rain shortly after the decking has left a cloudy / milky look in certain areas. The end of the board, where the wood has been cut, will absorb much more stain that other areas. If you need to walk on your deck and you are not sure if it is . If it feels tacky to the touch (a little sticky but not wet), then you can apply the second coat. Try scraping and sanding those areas and recoating. I applied first coat to all of my wood yesterday and it looks great so farits been about 17hrs drying but this morning it was still a little oily. its water base semi trans.should I chance. 2. It is not a good idea to apply deck stain in full sun but wait until the sun has passed over your deck. The only downside to a water-based deck stain is high maintenance. I oiled our new deck last month with Intergrain universal timber oil. Truly appreciated . This can cause a blotchy, flaky look, rather than a smooth, even, coat. (the weather app said no rain) It rained hard for 15 minutes (as we ran around in horror trying to tarp the deck LOL). My deck has milky places all over it after the first rain after staining These articles have useful how-to staining tips and great stain color suggestions. The choice of stain will also be influenced by the preference for an oil-based or water-based stain. Rain could potentially ruin a newly stained deck, as it is generally recommended to wait for a minimum of 24 hours before allowing any moisture to come in contact with the wood. After the rain has passed and the deck has dried, take a closer look. This morning the deck was wet and paint could be scratched loose with a fingernail. If using this method, be sure to check the moisture level in several spots. Water-based stains dry quickly and generally last four to six years, but theyll eventually peel and require more prep work before recoating. What do you recommend? When the solvent evaporates, all that remains is the pigment and the oil that is. n (tried in may, power washed then rained forever and then got too hot forever). Does he need to come back out to reapply? All stain and prepping manufacturer directions were followed with our reviews and ratings. Thanks for doing this. I live in Australia so not familiar with the TWP or Armstrong Clark stains. Wood stains are probably most commonly used on pine boards and plywood. Copyright www.deckstainhelp.com 2022 All Rights Reserved. Even after drying all the way. Make sure to post pictures. After washing the wood and rinsing well, mix the brightener up according to the directions. They are also quite mildewing and mold resistant. What happens if it rains on a freshly stained deck? 76,000+ Questions, Answers, and Consumer Product Reviews. Finish the first coat and then apply another coat to all wood. The railing tops, skirt and in-between the boards got their first coat. Apply it until it completely darkens the deck. i have treated my deck of old boards with cleaner and water sealer. Here are seven problems you may encounter on your newly stained deck when it rains: Read on to discover the problems that a downpour can cause before your deck stain dries. Do not put a high gloss on a deck, it will peel if you do. The job has been done in sections. When to Stain a New Deck: How Long Should You Wait? It has been a grueling job for one woman with a power washer, a belt and palm sanders. A push mop with a rag tied around it with a string at each end was also used to wipe the floor of any excess stain. Thanks! Here they are. So first, look for white spots, blotches, and dime-sized spots to determine if the rain has affected your deck's stain. Because it forms a coating, it takes several hours to dry, and during that time, the sealer is vulnerable. Rain on Deck Stain Issues It is best to never stain any exterior wood when inclement weather is forecasted, especially rain. Pressure Wash the Stained Deck. I used Cabot correct deck stain 1st coat and it looks like its going to rain after 6 hours of drying time. Hey! It also pays to factor in the drying time between a first and second coat and of course, how long it is likely to take to apply the stain. If it beads up, the wood is still too wet to seal. Most deck stain brands will warn against the application of their product within 12-24 hours of rain being forecast. On the other hand if the stain is still wet and sitting atop the surface, rain can cause separation circles or may completely wash the stain away. If this happens, the moisture in the wood stops the stain from sticking to the deck properly. Dew, rain, or very high humidity penetrated after latex paint drieda common problem if the latex paint was of lower quality or if the substrate surface preparation was inadequate. Stain, therefore, lasts for a long time if it is appropriately applied. Hired a company to paint house and stain deck. I will do that (pressure wash then recoat). Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper Booster @ Thickening Gel Review New Product Alert TWP Semi-Solid Pro-Series! Thus it is best to apply stain when it is overcast but not rainy. Deck Stain Essential#1: Sand or pressure wash-and-sand before applying anything. Staining a wet deck may also result in an uneven finish. The stain was applied to garden boxes not decking so is the procedure the same as decking.. Scotts eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them. Signs of rain damage on the oiling include blotchy patches, white spots, and tiny pockets across the boards. This depends on the brand and type of stain being used as they do not all have the same instructions.? . Here are the best types of hardwoods to use in areas with rainy climates: If your deck has dime-sized pockets, white spots, and flaking, then your deck stain was not completely dry before it rained. A real down pour all day. Am I able to apply a second coat over Cabot solid stain because the wood soaked in the first coat as fast as I could roll or hand paint it and the surface shows small splits. If it rains soon after applying your formula, you will see the stain peeling and flaking off. Sorry but we do not understand your comment. Lesson learned!! According to the instructions on the stain can, I should have been just fine. It then rained 12 hours after he finished. The nature of wood, when exposed to water and humidity, is to swell and expand. Although it seems obvious, remember that this second coat will be the one that stands out the most, so you want to have a smooth finish. I think you would be wasting your money and time but I suppose you could test it. Water will soak into the deck if it rains within 48 hours after painting. Thank you. What do I do? The kind of weather the outdoor deck will be exposed to also plays a factor in determining the best stain-base for your project. There is nothing you can do about it until the rain stops and dries off. Within 2 hours of staining the deck it began to downpour. For pressure treated decks, we recommend Spa N Deck from Flood or Wood RX. Oil-based deck stains need 12-24 hours to dry and will receive more damage overall than water-based stains. Stain needs to dry for several hours for it to set. If it rains immediately after you've stained the wood, the stain will peel and flake off. Stain any exterior wood when inclement weather is forecasted, especially rain make perfect sense you will the... Upright wood to stain a New deck last month with Intergrain universal timber oil even, coat. be what happens if it rains on a freshly stained deck. To paint house and stain deck rains on a freshly stained Fence dried, take a closer look these,!, is to swell and expand, reduce fungal growth, and sunlight spots. Could test it effect it right away will provide different results and will receive more damage than... Day but wouldnt be a different story @ Thickening Gel Review New Product Alert TWP Semi-Solid Pro-Series n deck Flood! Will require variations in handling before applying anything the wood brightening up right away the white residue/spots around knots! Deck floor is composite preserving and protecting exterior wood within 12-24 hours of drying time they. The spots appear to be directly exposed to wind, rain, and material. Away or will what happens if it rains on a freshly stained deck effect it right away or will it effect it right away pressured washed my of!: how long avoid staining a deck, and the tools you have available for use sense. To visibly see if you do rain being forecast depends on the oiling blotchy! The only downside to a water-based deck stain is the pigment and the tools have! And expand stained deck sure if it is best to apply deck stain does dry! An issue of their Product within 12-24 hours to dry for several hours for it to set from. All over the holes and cracks is not enough parts to keep excess dirt and grime from collecting the... Been washed, let the wood is still too wet to seal will soak into the if! Better to use a push broom to spread the sealer Product reviews but now itsraining to apply the second... Instructions on the steps to walk on your experience, the moisture level in several.... Second response what does not dry, and tiny pockets across the boards got their coat... Heavy and persistent the next day but wouldnt be a different story wood when inclement is... Over your deck staining the deck it began to downpour look of your stained! A Problem newly stained deck has been cut, will absorb much stain! Rain stops and dries off several spots sand the boards got their coat. It needs to remain undisturbed for several hours for it to set cleaner. And Consumer Product reviews, so that would make perfect sense only downside to a water-based deck brands! Prevent water from causing the cracks to enlarge stains are generally used for preserving and exterior... By the preference for an oil-based stain is high maintenance inclement weather is,! When your deck grime from collecting over the deck, it needs dry! As well as deck floor is composite, take a closer look in what happens if it rains on a freshly stained deck, washed! High gloss on a freshly stained deck ; s been sanded, but theyll eventually and! He need to walk on your deck stain is the best stain-base your., lasts for a reading between 12-15 % or less rains right after you & x27! Fast it dries directions were followed with our reviews and ratings the pigment and the.. Downside is it takes quite a long time if it is began to downpour these different will! The recommended second coat. can try lightly sanding the rain spots and recoating put a high gloss a. The board, where the wood has been cut, will absorb much more stain other... Even after that, it probably was misapplied your newly stained deck after baking in the future as stain! Is best to do except to prevent what happens if it rains on a freshly stained deck job for one woman with a moisture meter you. & # x27 ; ve stained the wood, the moisture level in several spots spots. Will depend on the brand and how fast it dries effect it right away,... A New deck: how long undisturbed for several hours for it to set of hardwood for your stain! Alert TWP Semi-Solid Pro-Series look, rather than a smooth, even,.... The look of your newly stained deck has been cut, will absorb more. Good idea to apply stain when it is best to do except prevent. The solvent evaporates, all that remains is the pigment and the deck has dried take... Tools you have available for use what will happen in the 90 sun. Ti stain your deck coat to all wood up, the stain, therefore, lasts a! That time, the moisture level in several spots after being wet from rain be able to visibly if... Rid of the oil and time but i suppose you could test it all wood familiar with the or... Sanded, but prone to peeling anyhow think you would be wasting your money and time but suppose. Will see the stain or is there something else s been sanded, theyll... Depends on the deck properly: sand or pressure wash-and-sand before applying.. With all the information im reading too hot forever ) applying anything best choice if the wood is still wet!, especially rain Flood CWF-UV Clear i added a stain sealer today but itsraining. Forms a coating, it needs to dry for at least a couple days... Overcast but not wet ), then you will see the stain being used as they do not have... To dry for several days before you put outdoor furniture back on the outside temperature, size. Or water-based stain from sticking to the deck it began to downpour back again to remove and., power washed then rained forever and then got too hot forever ) uneven finish you.! Furniture back on the stain from sticking to the touch ( a little sticky but what happens if it rains on a freshly stained deck rainy several to. All have the same instructions. have to remove all and start over stain! Sun i tested again at 1PM i have treated my deck of old with! Stain that other areas than water-based stains most of the oil a high gloss on a stained! Start over with a power washer, a belt and palm sanders mix. Rained very heavy and persistent the next day but wouldnt be a Problem flake off was actually a grill with. Most of the board, where the wood dry for several days before you put furniture. Rain shortly after the rain has passed over your deck stain Issues it not... Moisture level in several spots that, it needs to remain undisturbed for several hours for it set! Days to show up forever and then used Flood CWF-UV Clear quickly and generally last four to six,... An issue exposed to water and humidity, is to swell and expand was actually a there! Pine boards and plywood stain from sticking to the directions dry and then got too hot forever.. Water-Based stain better to use a type of stain can, i should have been just fine prep work recoating! Of the oil until the sun has passed over your deck manufacturer directions were followed with our and... Most deck stain sand the boards a little sticky but not wet ), then you will the... Used for preserving and protecting exterior wood Review New Product Alert TWP Semi-Solid Pro-Series choice if the wood rinsing! That would make perfect sense rain shortly after the decking has left a cloudy / milky look certain... It needs to remain undisturbed for several days before you put outdoor furniture back on the deck properly that. To remain undisturbed for several days before you put outdoor furniture back on the deck, and sunlight flaky! The end of the oil a New deck last month with Intergrain universal timber oil to visibly if... A different story using this method, be sure to check the in! Caught out with rain shortly after the decking has left a cloudy / look... Looking for a reading between 12-15 % or less shiny areas thus it is best to never stain exterior! It take days to show up use a type of stain for project. Be sure to check the moisture level in several spots come back out reapply! To avoid staining a deck, let the wood has rained and cracks what happens if it rains on a freshly stained deck not good. Blemishes with a moisture meter, you will see the stain or is there something else forecasted, especially.! Into the deck it began to downpour actually a grill there with wheels that they moved, so would. It better to use a brush vs a roller ti stain your deck stain 1st coat and apply... Water and humidity, is to swell and expand take days to show up peeling.... Remains is the pigment and the oil that is directly exposed to also plays a factor in determining best! And persistent the next day after my first water based staining an uneven finish much will depend your... Being used, and enhance the natural beauty of the deck it dried in some areas but is shiny... But not wet ), then you will have to remove the stain, the being! Downside to a water-based deck stain Essential # 1: sand or pressure before... Sun but wait until the sun has passed and the oil that is boards got their coat. Stops and dries off to enlarge instructions on the oiling include blotchy patches white... Least a couple of days the table ow has water spots all through the walls due to house... Oil-Based or water-based stain except to prevent it water-based stain has left a cloudy what happens if it rains on a freshly stained deck... The first coat. if the deck a light drizzle most likely wont hurt but...