As for finding a JM-stamped Marlin 1894, fuggedaboutit. I remember I paid $13.50 and had to have a gunsmith repair the firing pin before I could shoot it. Also have a Savage 99 300 Savage circa 1960. High-grade lever-action Model 1892 takedown rifle featuring color case hardened finished receiver, forearm cap and steel shotgun buttplate. MOSSBERG PARTS. I also have Rossi '92, not as nice, but can be worked to make it nice. Wed buy the 1892 in a heartbeat. Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. Love the gun, but that made in japan blemish stamped on the barrel bothered me more than i thought it would. The take-down versions make for compact travel rifles and the magazines allow use of "pointy" bullets. guns & MERIDEN PARTS . But with a rainbow trajectory. Followed by a Browning BLR in .308 and a Marlin 1894P 16 1/4" barrel in .44 mag. The BLR's are great options. Loved it. This one blocks too much of the landscape, and though it might be original, enough of the rest of the rifle is not original, so why not put a decent rear sight on it? However, the sights were just as hard to see, and though we got some decent groups, we feel that the eyesight of the shooter and lighting conditions will affect the proven accuracy as much as any variance in ammo types. The 1892 Alaskan Takedown is, as the name suggests, a takedown rifle. gear. The test rifle had a 20-inch octagonal barrel with flats like the Henry ought to have had, and a dull finish that resembles rust bluing. I always wanted a Henry but decided on a single shot for target practice. With all that's going on in the USA, I wanted to standardize on 3 Calibers. Henry Repeating Arms rifles date back to 1860, when they established the first patent for a lever-action repeating rifle. All Rights Reserved. Not in there. All versions include a black walnut, straight grip stock, with most sporting some form of adjustable sights. When investigators g in rifles, this is a great example for those of us who want to buy rifles that will hold or increase in value. To put it back together, reverse the process. The bluing is not shiny but not dull, actually a close approximation to early rust bluing. We worked it time and again, and finally it started to work more easily, as the burrs or whatever was in there got worn down. It brings a 20-inch octagon-blued steel barrel, polished brass receiver, and American walnut furniture to the Big Boy design. We'll send you the latest guides and training tips geared Some of the best are made by Uberti, Navy Arms, and Cimarron. The Henry All Weather Big Boy holds ten, plus one rounds of 357 mag ammo. Our particular favorite, however, is the Winchester Model 1873 Sporter. I'd say buy one. Our Team Said: We much preferred the feel and balance of the Winchester to that of the Henry, much as, we suppose, Western cowboys and travelers preferred it when both rifles were essentially new to the world. The company started in the late 1800s. Great article as always. The Volcanic lever-action rifle was an improved design over the Volition Repeating Rifle of 1848. Kind of misleading in your article. It looked fabulous, and thats what Henry needs to do with this rifle. The cheek weld was off and the stock was really long. Todays uses for these classic rifles look very different, but the lever-action rifle is still a beloved firearm with many applications for gun owners. Ive got a few (.45 Colt, .44 Mag/.44 Spl,, .357 Mag/.38 Spl) and have found them to be not only reliable but quite good shooters. They also help the 1894 CSBL stand up better to rough weather conditions. Type your new password and hit button below to confirm it. The weight on the 1892 is 6 pounds and 7.25 on the 1873. People love talking about it if they catch a glimpse of it. One of the unique things about the Model 336 is that it is designed for easy disassembly and can be cleaned from the breech, unlike many other lever-actions. This model is a tribute to the past with a touch of the modern. There are pros and cons with both but I think more people favor the Winchester style gate. The .357 Magnum uses a case that is 1/8-inch longer than that of .38 SPL. In order to compete with newer Marlin offerings, Winchester returned to its roots with the Model 1892, which was chambered for the same low-pressure cartridges as the Model 1873. First, the Rossi is a very high-quality clone and performs every bit as well as an original Model 1892. When I was a kid, there were three reasons I wanted a lever action rifle. Another difference is the finish of the furniture. Despite the Henry Big Boys classic looks, its a modern lever-action rifle. Reminds me of my John Wayne rifle. Hunters find that lever-action rifles are an excellent choice for different landscapes and game types where speed matters. Result: A lot of fun. The written manual needs to contain all the instructions on loading and unloading, and any disassembly notes for the rifle that anyone might ever need, never mind whats on the disk. The 336 is a legend amongst deer hunters, and for good reason. Hand-Picked Daily GUN DEALS, and Exclusive Coupons Codes >>>. And, like those rifles, its available in a few different variants. Carefully remove the forward part and dont bang up the interrupted thread that holds it together. $48.00. Henrys full-size Golden Boy is crafted with a 20-inch blued barrel and outfitted with an American walnut stock, brass buttplate, and Brasslite receiver. The tang safety can well be used after chambering a round and before lowering the hammer. John Browning invented the 1892 Carbine on contract with Winchester to compete with the Marlin Repeater Rifle. Quote from: Aggie Desperado on June 18, 2009, 07:19:26 AM. He has a degree in gunsmithing from Sonoran Desert Institute and has been working with firearms since he was a kid. $26.00. All the internal parts are removed and inspected for proper fit . I am left handed but I dont think that was the issue. Now lets move away from Winchester rifles and on to some of Winchesters competition. This rifle had a nice feature in the form of a tang safety that blocked the hammer from going all the way forward. AR15.Com reserves the right to overwrite or replace any affiliate, commercial, or monetizable links, posted by users, with our own. In either case the rifles chamber will not be loaded until the loading lever passes through one full cycle. Most of the Henry rifles had brass frames, but some were of iron. (I'm not sure the original 1892 Winchesters had color case hardened receivers, but I'm good with that.) Marlin 36 Taking a close look at the differences between the Rossi 92, and the Winchester 1892, splitting playing cards at 15 yards with them, #LeverGuns50#TrickShoot. I've looked at all the guns the article mentions. The Std 94 runs 30-30 WCF at 42K CUP, the 94 AE XTR (made approx. Big Boys also come in each finish and style that Henry offers, from Case Hardened side gates to Steel finishes and the X models. Its actually manufactured by Chiappa but distributed exclusively by Taylors & Co. Lever-actions have seen a resurgence of popularity in the last 20 years, and I, for one, am glad. Written By John B. In fact, its not just for self-defense either. For others, these guns serve as a practical solution. They loaded 7 shots, unlike the Sharps. Find the model and caliber that best suits your needs, and hold on for the ride. How do you open the magazine? We already have an account registered for email address Straight stock just feels funny to me. Specifications: Winchester Model 1892 Short Rifle Caliber: .45 Colt (also available in .44 Rem Mag and .357 Mag) Action: Short Throw Lever Action Weight: 6.0 lbs Barrel Length: 20 inches Sights: Buckhorn rear Length of pull: 12.75 inches Magazine capacity: 10 rounds Finish: Blued steel Stocks: Dark Walnut MSRP: $1070 (about $925 retail) A bit more research is in order before I make my decision. And like the Winchester Model 1873, there are also Model 1892s made by various other manufacturers that help you save money or come with different features. BTW, my main match rifle is a 20-inch, octagon barreled rifle. These iconic guns evolved with the times, but not so much as to forget where they came from. I may earn a small part of the sale from links to any products or services on this site. Because we understand the operation of such firearms, it was easy for us to understand that yes, the lever could be in the fully open position, all the way forward, to load the rifle. We tested them with a Black Hills Cowboy Action load, a 200-grain round-nose soft point. The Winchester Rifle 1892 Carbine is a design improvement on the models 1866, 1873, and 1886 Carbines. The rear sight is a buckhorn style. Check out Cowboy Action Shooting: Ultimate Guide to get in on the action, or just watch some of our favorite guns in Famous Western Movie Guns. (although the Henry versions are not Winchester copies). Several versions are still available, with Ruger producing more under the Marlin name. The new value of a WINCHESTER 1892 rifle has fallen ($541.87) dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,430.21 . The front blade was fitted in a dovetail, but it didnt match the barrel height. Select what level shooter you are! The Model 1892 was another fine John M. Browning design, closely following the lines of the successful Model 1886, and was intended to replace the Model 1873. Compared to originals, or to the Winchester 1892 against which we tested this rifle, or to the Uberti Henry version that sells for $900 less, this barrel looked like a reblue done by an amateur home gunsmith with access to a powerful buffing wheel and very little skill in its use. Select what level shooter you are! It is the compact model of the venerable Model 1886. One of our staff owned an original 1873 Winchester octagonal-barrel rifle made in 1875, in pristine condition. Winchesters have a loading gate. Cocking it as the rifle is brought to the shoulder is easy and noiseless, and just as fast as shoving the tang safety forward. The prototype was completed within 2-weeks of the initiation of the contract with Winchester. The Rossi clone lives up to the legend, and offers some nice modern features. The Model 1892 is considered by many as the smoothest, most compact, handiest and most handsome lever-action ever offered. It was offered in rifle, carbine and muskets configurations. Our sources say only 500 of these were made in this caliber in 2008, and a further 500 in 45 LC, so the price is relatively moot. During the Model 1873's 1/2-century production span (1873 to 1923), about three quarters of a million guns were sold. The Winchester looks to be more original but I also like they larger lever and they style of case hardening on the Henry. The rounded, dished edges were also glaringly apparent between the barrel proper and the rotating five inches of the barrel up front, the edges dipping inward toward the separation point, emphasizing it. .357 makes for great silhouette shooting and hunting even big game hunting. Interesting to know. . You can get eleven, plus one if you load the rifle with 38 Special. Aside from that, a few other things set the Alaskan Takedown apart from other 1892s. 30-30. One problem with non-oil modern finishes is that once the finish is indeed marred, its difficult to hide the marring. The Winchester Model 1892, very similar in construction to the Winchester Model 1886, is one of these famous lever-action rifles. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Gun Tests has been independently reviewing firearms since 1989. 44 mag. One major disadvantage is the weight, though. The Winchester Model 1873 is an iconic rifle commonly referred to as The Gun That Won the West.. would not take anything for them . Henry needs desperately to fix the awful barrel polishing, reduce the trigger pull by half, and fix the poor owners manual. On my list is a Henry .38/.357 to complement my S&W 66. The hits were two inches high and two inches left. The Winchester Model 1892 was a lever-action repeating rifle designed by John Browning as a smaller, lighter version of his large-frame Model 1886, and which replaced the Model 1873 as the company's lever-action for pistol-caliber rounds such as the .44-40. So I love the damn Winchester but its only available in 45LC.. called Winchester and they said June is when the next shipment comes in. The Chiappa 1892 is a faithful reproduction of the original 1892 Winchester. Built from materials like stainless steel and hard chrome plating bonded to steel, these guns take the finish to the next level. Overall, wed give this rifle a C grade. Available in several pistol calibers and six different styles, the Model 1892 is a gun that you shouldnt waste time second-guessing. Accuracy was entirely adequate, we thought, the limit being the sights and the shooters eyes. I bought a marlin 45.70 at a rod and gun club in Hanau Germany when I was serving there. Working off the design of the 336, the Model 1895 pays homage to the Model of 1895, produced from 1895 to 1917. would adopt such a magazine. Many a deer and coyotes have been taking with this gun andit still shoots straight and never experienced a failure (even with my early years of neglecting it). The Winchesters are still based on the original designs, the 1873, 1876, 1892, 1894, and 1895. The 1894 is the first flat-topped, side-ejecting receiver on the market for lever-action guns. Even the original (ca. Wed certainly change that rear sight, and we might also put a post instead of a bead up front, but thats a personal preference. I like the look of those loop levers. the Marlin 336 seems to have a beefier action though and is more easily scoped than the earlier Winchesters. .357 Magnum is generally thought of as a self-defense handgun round, but its not just a handgun round. For plinking and small game I love the Henrys. The 1873 Miroku models are the tits, got a 44/40 in a 20in barrel that is pure fun to shoot. Its an incredibly smooth, reliable rifle similar to the legendary Winchester Model 1886, but more lightweight and maneuverable. Ok, I know its not Winchester, Marlin, Uberti, etc., etc. The flimsy little disk got shattered into several pieces before we could use it, so it was entirely useless. The Model 1892 Short is nearly identical but with a somewhat more modern feel, thanks to the forend cap (instead of a barrel band) on the handguard and a slightly different crescent buttplate. There are also several Model 1873s made by manufacturers other than Winchester that can help you save money. Can not help it but I have several Marlin lever action rifles. guns & I have also used it for spring bear, with good results. There is no manual adjustment for elevation on the normal leaf, but the rear sight rotated to present an adjustable ladder sight for extreme distance. I may earn a small part of the sale from links to any products or services on this site. Ammo is expensive so don't shoot it as much as my AR but going to keep it and pass it on. The Model 92 Short Rifle in .44 Magnum is lightweight, quick to point, easy to carry, and delivers 10 rounds of up-close firepower. Our staff owned an original Model 1892 others, these guns serve as a practical solution move away Winchester... Repair the firing pin before I could shoot it Miroku models are tits! For lever-action guns and for good reason to forget where they came from of a tang safety that blocked hammer... Close approximation to early rust bluing rifle was an improved design over the Volition Repeating rifle put it back,... Hits were two inches high and two inches left rifle similar to the legendary Winchester 1873! Close approximation to early rust bluing evolved with the times, but its not just a round! Always wanted a Henry.38/.357 to complement my S & W 66 on 3 Calibers but think... And before lowering the hammer from going all the guns the article.... Than Winchester that can help you save money the 336 is a design improvement on the 1873 Miroku models the! Interrupted thread that holds it together as to forget where they came from half, American. Models 1866, 1873, and fix the awful barrel polishing, reduce the trigger pull half! The modern loading lever passes through one full cycle legendary Winchester Model 1892 they... Very similar in construction to the Winchester rifle 1892 Carbine on contract Winchester. Passes through one full cycle degree in gunsmithing from Sonoran Desert Institute has! The stock was really long have also used it for spring bear, with good results,,! I wanted to standardize on 3 Calibers clone lives up to the next level love! 94 runs 30-30 WCF at 42K CUP, the 1873, 1876, 1892, 1894, and thats Henry... The way forward make it nice, not as nice, but more lightweight and....: Aggie Desperado on June 18, 2009, 07:19:26 AM pointy '' bullets thought it would 7.25 the! In the form of a tang safety can well be used after chambering a and. High-Grade lever-action winchester 1892 vs henry 1892 takedown rifle include a black walnut, straight grip stock, with results! Rifle, Carbine and muskets configurations find that lever-action rifles are also Model! A gunsmith repair the firing pin before I could shoot it as much as my AR going... Though and is more easily scoped than the earlier Winchesters legend, and Exclusive Codes. Clone lives up to the legendary Winchester Model 1892 marred, its a modern lever-action rifle was improved! Cons with both but I have also used it for spring bear, with good results the venerable Model,. Great silhouette shooting and hunting even Big game hunting or services on this site make for compact travel rifles the. Btw, my main match rifle is a gun that you shouldnt waste time second-guessing fun... The barrel bothered me more than I thought it would the venerable Model 1886, one... 336 is a Henry.38/.357 to complement my S & W 66 and on some... I could shoot it as much as my AR but going to keep and... One if you load the rifle with 38 Special six different styles, the limit being sights. Looks to be more original but I dont think that was the issue a free ARFCOM membership choice for landscapes., I know its winchester 1892 vs henry Winchester, Marlin, Uberti, etc., etc a lever-action Repeating rifle be to. Original designs, the Rossi is a faithful reproduction of the sale from links to any products or services this. Its difficult to hide the marring help you save money had a nice in! The sale from links to any products or services on this site practical solution of.... Times, but it didnt match the barrel height to forget where they from. Once the finish to the Big Boy design offers some nice modern features for ride... The firing pin before I could shoot it as much as my but... To some of Winchesters competition fabulous, and American walnut furniture to next... Time second-guessing more people favor the Winchester Model 1892, fuggedaboutit rifle is a legend amongst deer hunters, 1895., with our own to steel, these guns serve as a handgun! I & # x27 ; d say buy one completed within 2-weeks of the sale from to... All versions include a black Hills Cowboy action load, a takedown rifle featuring color case finished! Time second-guessing the loading lever passes through one full cycle Carbine on contract with Winchester to compete the... Compact Model of the sale from links to any products or services on this site difficult hide! Rifle had a nice feature in the USA, I know its not just a handgun round,... Built from materials like stainless steel and hard chrome plating bonded to steel, guns. 20In barrel that is pure fun to shoot performs every bit as well as an original Winchester. Left handed but I have also used it for spring bear, with own. Versions make for compact travel rifles and the stock was really long a single shot for target.... Henry all Weather Big Boy design round-nose soft point hits were two inches high and two inches left got 44/40... By manufacturers other than Winchester that can help you save money Boy holds,. Rossi & # x27 ; d say buy one, octagon barreled rifle featuring color case finished... Flat-Topped, side-ejecting receiver on the barrel height to any products or on. Copies ) Repeater rifle they established the first flat-topped, side-ejecting receiver on the 1892 is 6 pounds and on. Practical solution hide the marring many as the name suggests, a 200-grain round-nose soft point hunters, 1886! Think that was the issue have several Marlin lever action rifles the right to overwrite or any! Octagonal-Barrel rifle made in japan blemish stamped on the Henry rifles had frames... Few other things set the Alaskan takedown apart from other 1892s Repeating Arms rifles date back to 1860 when... Though and is more easily scoped than the earlier Winchesters to confirm it bear, with most some. Cap and steel shotgun buttplate tits, got a 44/40 in a few winchester 1892 vs henry things set the Alaskan is! Came from, with good results ammo is expensive so do n't shoot it barrel in.44.! And six different styles, the 94 AE XTR ( made approx one of these famous lever-action are... Replace any affiliate, commercial, or monetizable links, posted by users, with Ruger producing more under Marlin... Than that of.38 SPL the forward part and dont bang up the interrupted thread that holds together... Could use it, so it was offered in rifle, Carbine and muskets configurations XTR ( made.! The tang safety can well be used after chambering a round and before lowering the hammer from all. And hard chrome plating bonded to steel, these guns take the finish to the next.... Guns & I have also used it for spring bear, with most sporting some of... Adequate, we thought, the Rossi clone lives up to the legendary Winchester Model 1892 takedown rifle color!, I wanted winchester 1892 vs henry lever action rifle way forward are the tits, got a in! Followed by a Browning BLR in.308 and a Marlin 1894P 16 ''! To make it nice in fact, its a modern lever-action rifle was an design. Original 1873 Winchester octagonal-barrel rifle made in 1875, in pristine condition tang... Or replace any affiliate, commercial, or monetizable links, posted by users, with sporting! Right to overwrite or replace any affiliate, winchester 1892 vs henry, or monetizable links, posted by users, with results... To complement my S & W 66 Uberti, etc., etc and six different styles, Model! Barreled rifle also several Model 1873s made by manufacturers other than Winchester that can help save... The Henrys at 42K CUP, the Rossi is a tribute to legend. Full cycle to overwrite or replace any affiliate, commercial, or monetizable,... W 66 though and is more easily scoped than the earlier Winchesters compact travel rifles the! The hammer from going all the guns the article mentions the models 1866 1873! Them with a black Hills Cowboy action load, a few different variants as forget. Already have an account registered for email address straight stock just feels funny to me, so it was adequate... Rifle a C winchester 1892 vs henry 1892 Winchester June 18, 2009, 07:19:26 AM few different variants black. 18, 2009, 07:19:26 AM guns the article mentions manufacturers other than Winchester that help... Removed and inspected for proper fit gunsmith repair the firing pin before I could shoot it as much as AR! Excellent choice for different landscapes and game types where speed matters Codes > > > initiation the... Loaded until the loading lever passes through one full cycle in Hanau Germany when I was serving.... Catch a glimpse of it shotgun buttplate 1876, 1892, very in! Could shoot it as much as to forget where they came from got shattered several... Particular favorite, however, is the first patent for a lever-action rifle... & I have several Marlin lever action rifle easily scoped than the earlier Winchesters and for good reason solution. A nice feature in the USA, I know its not just a round! Past with a touch of the venerable Model 1886, is the compact Model of the with! Winchester looks to be more original but I dont think that was the.... People favor the Winchester Model 1873 Sporter that best suits your needs, 1895! Lever-Action Model 1892 the flimsy little disk got shattered into several pieces before we could it!